I mainly based the design of the project on ingame screenshots of my female Breton. Of course, the ingame photos’s rights lay at Bethesda studios. You can see the finished costume here.

Dieses Bild hat ein leeres Alt-Attribut. Der Dateiname ist Skyrim-Rüstung-Vorlage-1024x1024.jpg

As always when planning big armor projects, I started by covering my mannequin with tape, so that the design could be drawn directly on the surface. It could also be helpful when forming the hot Worbla pieces.

Dieses Bild hat ein leeres Alt-Attribut. Der Dateiname ist Schneiderpuppe-768x1024.jpg

Afterwards, it looked like this:

Dieses Bild hat ein leeres Alt-Attribut. Der Dateiname ist Schneiderpuppe-Schnittmuster-768x1024.jpg

The torso is lined with fabric, on which the leather could be glued on easily.

Dieses Bild hat ein leeres Alt-Attribut. Der Dateiname ist Torso-Leder-Basis-768x1024.jpg

Afterwards, I had to prepare the holes for the various sizes of lacing and sewing.

Dieses Bild hat ein leeres Alt-Attribut. Der Dateiname ist Torso-Leder-Löcher-1024x768.jpg

In contrast, the smaller parts are not lined, so that the leather serves as a base, to which all pieces had to be attached.

Dieses Bild hat ein leeres Alt-Attribut. Der Dateiname ist Beinschienen-Leder-Basis-1024x768.jpg

The metal-looking pieces were made out of Worbla, because real metal was way too shiny and didn‘t match the reference. However, they could be used to get the Worbla into shape.

Dieses Bild hat ein leeres Alt-Attribut. Der Dateiname ist Beinschienen-Ringe-1024x768.jpg

They were attached with both glue and rivets, depending on the pressure put on the individual pieces afterwards.

Dieses Bild hat ein leeres Alt-Attribut. Der Dateiname ist Beinschienen-Leder-Verzierungen-1024x768.jpg

Since Skyrim is a country very similar to Scandinavia or the Vikings‘ mythological world, I decided to use reindeer fur. Of course, I used a second-hand fur and cut it into pieces instead of a brand new item.

Dieses Bild hat ein leeres Alt-Attribut. Der Dateiname ist Fell-außen-768x1024.jpg

As a conclusion, I had to use some tricks to get the fur into shape, for example by adding invisible seams.

Dieses Bild hat ein leeres Alt-Attribut. Der Dateiname ist Fell-innen-768x1024.jpg

After all pieces mentioned above were attached to the torso, it looked like this:

Dieses Bild hat ein leeres Alt-Attribut. Der Dateiname ist Torso-Leder-Teile-768x1024.jpg

By the way, the lining will be hidden by the big belt, so I did not add any leather there.

Dieses Bild hat ein leeres Alt-Attribut. Der Dateiname ist Gürtel-1024x768.jpg

I used a completely different technique to built the base layer of the bracers: By glueing several layers of foam to each other, a 3D model could be created.

Dieses Bild hat ein leeres Alt-Attribut. Der Dateiname ist Armschoner-Grundlage-1024x768.jpg

In the next step, I covered everything with Worbla and used some tools to show the pattern’s outline.

Dieses Bild hat ein leeres Alt-Attribut. Der Dateiname ist Armschoner-Ausformung-768x1024.jpg

By reheating the piece, a round form could be achieved. I used Vallejo primer to prepare the surface for coloring.

Dieses Bild hat ein leeres Alt-Attribut. Der Dateiname ist Armschoner-Muster-fertig-768x1024.jpg

The other metal-looking pieces were created in the same way.

Dieses Bild hat ein leeres Alt-Attribut. Der Dateiname ist Muster-Fertig-768x1024.jpg

Next, they were painted with silver and black colors of Vallejo. I added several layers of varnish afterwards.

Dieses Bild hat ein leeres Alt-Attribut. Der Dateiname ist Schulterschutz-fertig-1-1024x768.jpg

I decided to use hooks and eyes in combination with some elastic cord for the straps.

Dieses Bild hat ein leeres Alt-Attribut. Der Dateiname ist Beinschoner-Details-768x1024.jpg

On this photo, you can see the three layers of the left shoulder part finally attached to each other.

Dieses Bild hat ein leeres Alt-Attribut. Der Dateiname ist Schulterschutz-fertig-2-1024x768.jpg

The bracers didn’t need any straps or hooks at all, because they are wide enough to slip over the wrist. I tried to save some material as well.

Dieses Bild hat ein leeres Alt-Attribut. Der Dateiname ist Armschoner-Lederpart-1024x768.jpg

Last but not least, some leftover pieces of fur were glued to both sides.

Dieses Bild hat ein leeres Alt-Attribut. Der Dateiname ist Armschienen-Fertig-768x1024.jpg

I am very happy about the final look of the Scale Armor. It is a combination of leather, metal-looking parts and a lot of fur, which makes it a very characteristic item of Skyrim.     

Dieses Bild hat ein leeres Alt-Attribut. Der Dateiname ist Beinschienen-Leder-fertig-768x1024.jpg

Have a look at my other Making-of and WIP pages!