I did not make a lot of photos, but the ones I have may help you to create your own cosplay. Please also visit the other making-of pages, especially the Pyromancer that is inspired by Dark Souls as well, and the costume’s main page, too.
Since conventions often take place in summer, you do not want to wear more layers than necessary. As a consequence, I tried to simplify the costume. While the front consists of an underdress and and upper layer, the back is only made from the outer fabric, which means that the two linens are sewn to each other at the side seams. Therefore, the closure is a little bit more complicated.
I used a similar technique when constructing the sleeves. The second layer only starts at the elbow. I did not have the patience to do the embroidery on the trimming by hand. In addition, my design was very simple and had very clear lines.
I did not need a special sewing machine, but used the buttonhole stitch of my Pfaff and striking concentration.
I used some wooden beads to create her necklace that is linked to the belt. Although the original design does not include any pockets, I wanted to create some in order to transport my own stuff at an event. By the way, fabric does not need to be expensive when you look around for alternate sources. For example, I could use some sort of summer skirt for Friede’s veil. The chiffon is very fine compared to the linen fabric of the main dress.
Of course, the skythe was much more complicated than the dress. The core was made out of thick cardboard. When connected to each other, they had a nice 3D effect.
To give them some strength, I did use some duct tape.
In contrast to this, the wooden stock was made with pipes normally used for electric cables. Due to the small measurements of normal cars, I divided the pattern into several pieces, that can be connected very simple.
Now it was time to add the final layer to the blade, which was made of 2mm EVA foam.
To create the design on the thicker pieces of the stock, I simply had to cut it into the surface and heat it up. I had to do the latter step anyway to seal the foam before priming it with Gummidip (which is similar to Plastidip). Afterwards, Vallejo airbrush colors were used to create the final look.